Thing 19: “Tune In–YouTube in the Classroom”

My exploration of YouTube led me in several directions.  For videos relating to my content/profession, I watched a few videos about the flipped classroom and about curriculum design.  The flipped classroom is a concept I am hearing about more frequently, so I looked for videos in hope of gaining an idea of what a flipped classroom looks like at the high school level or in ELA.  Unfortunately, most of the videos I found simply explained why teachers are choosing a flipped classroom, the concepts behind it, or the basics of how it works, not necessarily a view of a flipped classroom.  I looked for videos about curriculum design because I feel that is an area where I struggle as a teacher, so I was looking for any tips or suggestions about planning for English classrooms.  I did find an interesting video where a teacher explained how she created a informational text unit plan using the new Common Core.

As for the student-created video, I found a very interesting video that used music videos to explain poetic devices.  After each device was defined in the video, lyrics were displayed that were examples of the device.  The students then explained the example.  Though I would ask my students to go a little more in depth or to cover more devices, I really liked the idea.

For the how-to video, I learned how to change my oil in five minutes, and for the other, I watched an episode of Doug, one of my favorite childhood cartoons. 🙂

As for use of YouTube in the classroom, I have used it many times to present content to my classes.  In particular, I have found some great videos (all created by the same teacher) for my speech and debate class.  I have found that there really are valuable videos out there, but sometimes it takes some digging, which takes time.  However, I have never used YouTube as a means for sharing my students’ work or ideas.  Students creating content for YouTube is an avenue I would like to try.  It seems students can create a video to address nearly any topic or any project–how to videos, summarization, analysis, poetic readings, music videos, skits, interpretations, reports, etc.  The list is endless.  With what is out there, however, I see little that gives credit to sources, which is a component I would have be sure to include when asking my students to create videos for YouTube.  Also, I love that those videos can easily be shared with teachers, administrators, parents, the community, and the world!  It is a great opportunity to put students in control.